Welcome...

You've reached the shared blog of Michael Mckay and Todd Frederick. Two friends who have worked together in ministry and labored in similar educational endeavors. Please join us as we consider the interaction of Christianity with modern culture...

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cooking and Bible Study Methods

This week I started a new semester of teaching at the Grace College campus. One of my courses is "Scripture and Interpretation" which is an examination of the fundamentals of Bible interpretation. There is an illustration I use to try and hook the students into seeing the benefits of plowing through this kind of a methods course that I thought I would share.
I liken the need to learn cooking as similar to the need to learn how to interpret the Bible. So I ask, "Why is it important to learn how to cook?"

1) So I can learn how to feed myself. We have to eat to survive and so learning how to cook (and yes making toast could be considered cooking), is part of our physical survival.
2) So I can appreciate all the textures, tastes and smells available for good eating. Even though making toast and Ramen noodles could be considered cooking, limiting yourself to just these kinds of easy options really limits the amount of pleasure that can be taken from the world of food and the art of cooking.
3) So I can protect myself from poorly cooked/ inedible meals. I still remember taking the fried chicken off of my plate, putting my fork in it and watching the blood ooze out. Thankfully, even with my limited cooking knowledge, I knew that eating that chicken could be seriously bad for my health (and no it wasn't Lee-Ann's chicken :))
4) So I can serve other people meals, so that they can be nourished and appreciate the art of cooking and good food.

You probably already see the parallels that cooking has with studying the Bible. We need to feed ourselves with spiritual nourishment that can only be found when our minds are focused on the person of Jesus found in the Scriptures. If we do not know how to prepare that meal, then we are spiritually malnourished. If we do not know the rich textures of the Bible and the depth of art contained in them, then we may satisfy ourselves by only reading our favorite passage or psalm. We tend to avoid those parts/ genres of the Bible that we do not understand, instead of seeking the intricate beauty of God's Word. Failure to know the Scriptures can easily open us up to false teaching. Lastly, the purpose of studying the Scriptures never ends with our own spiritual "belly" being full; we are to pass on the truth in both word and deed. Studying the Scriptures will change our life so that we can be used to change the lives of those around us.

4 comments:

  1. What? No more kicking?
    Good analogy though.
    - Michael Dore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the comparison is great. Good Bible study takes a long time and results in a satisfying meal for many people. Bad Bible study is like Ramen noodles... you won't starve, but they'll run right through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that illustration. I especially was convicted by that last sentence "Studying the scriptures will change our life so that we can be used to change the lives of those around us." Challenged me to be in the Word more so that i can change the lives of my children and those i come in contact with every day.
    Also, glad you added that it was not my chicken:) Ha ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked that analogy as well. You could even add in the point that you have to have to correct technique in both your cooking and your hermeneutic. Anyone can throw a concoction of food together and call it a meal but it may (and probably is not) healthy to eat. In the same way, anyone can bumble their way through studying the Bible but the result may not be something that is edifying.

    I guess that's similar to 3) but with a little different application. Not only does a good hermeneutic protect us from outside false teaching, it protects others from ours

    ReplyDelete