Welcome...

You've reached the shared blog of Michael Mckay and Todd Frederick. Two friends who have worked together in ministry and labored in similar educational endeavors. Please join us as we consider the interaction of Christianity with modern culture...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The down and up side to group projects

Recently, I have been thinking about the role of group projects in the arsenal of teaching tools. Both my ninth grader and my seventh grader are currently in the bonds of a group project, and being a teacher myself has brought to mind some reasons why I dislike group projects. To state it bluntly: group projects punish good students and allow unmotivated students to bring home a good grade for mom and dad. Boy that sounds critical!

But think about it...in middle school/high school good students were paired up with unmotivated students to work together. I assume that this was in the hopes that the unmotivated students might be won over by the diligent student. Even with the best intentions in mind though, most of the group squandered the time while one student did most of the work. The problem is that not everyone is motivated to the same degree to have the project succeed. Some are happy to get a "C" while others are mortified at an "A-". Also, there is minimal concern that each member has for other members around them. In other words, the happy "C" student does not think, "I had better work harder because 'so-n-so' will be disappointed with an 'A-'." I personally don't utilize the group project tool too often in my classes. It just becomes too difficult to gauge who is doing the work, and how to reward a grade. I always feel like I am punishing the hard working student.

On a more positive note, I did think about one event when group projects really work well. In this event each participant is highly motivated not only to contribute to the cause, but also to ensure the success of the others in the group. What is it you may ask? Zombie apocalypse. One thing the Left for Dead series of games has taught me is that I need a team. In a zombie apocalypse you have to protect the other team members, and everyone is working very diligently for the group to succeed; if the group fails then you fail as well. This may not redeem the group project teaching method, but if the zombie apocalypse befalls us, then you are welcome to my house (if you are not infected) and I promise to participate fully for the good of the group.

... :)

2 comments:

  1. Just don't schedule a zombie apocalypse without me... I'll bring the guns... you hoard the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's the kind of teamwork I am talking about!

    ReplyDelete