Welcome...

You've reached the shared blog of Michael Mckay and Todd Frederick. Two friends who have worked together in ministry and labored in similar educational endeavors. Please join us as we consider the interaction of Christianity with modern culture...

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Experimental Blog/Sermon Delivery

http://www.livescribe.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LDApp.woa/wa/MLSOverviewPage?sid=QTvm6pSqB41g

This links to a 'pencast' that I created using a Livescribe smart pen. It runs fifteen minutes. If you have the time and the interest, I would appreciate your feedback. It's also for a class, so the more the merrier.

I'm specifically interested in a couple of things: would you listen to this kind of thing more often? Does it effectively communicate the idea of a Biblical passage? Better or worse than attending a live sermon? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, though if you like it, expect more of them on the blog... :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Todd, I like the message and thought you made it relevant to listeners today. I do believe people are more open to listening to these types of messages. I attend a church where we are a video campus and I know many people listen to pod-cast of sermons all the time. Better or worse than attending a live sermon? Well, I don't think anything can replace attending a live sermon. That is something we face every Sunday being a video campus, even though we have a Campus Pastor. People just like going to a church where there is a live preacher. I guess it makes them feel more like church and that they connect more if there is a live preacher. In a way, those people are looking to fill their needs instead of filling others needs. They can't see past themselves and viral sermons become an issue. When it really comes down to it, my experience tells me people prefer a live preacher. People who attend church regularly probably stay there more for the relationships they have made, rather staying around because of the preaching. There are pros and cons to this new trend. Having sermons like yours will reach a certain group while live sermons will reach others. I think both are needed and both are good. I am reminded of Paul's letters to the churches, these were not live sermons, but very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Don! I appreciate the feedback. I agree with you that recordings won't take the place of a live sermon... yet. At this point, it's one more avenue to explore and possibly incorporate into the broad field of Christian education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just listened/watched... definitely interested in seeing/hearing more of these. I like the idea of having the "whiteboard" experience with a podcast. I'm definitely looking into the possibility of using these in my own online teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley... be careful what you wish for...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd,
    Just got a chance to watch the video yesterday and was really impressed with it as a medium. I liked how you had some "characters/drawings" already on the "paper", and then I was able to watch you fill in the rest. The result was that my curiosity was piqued and I was interested in seeing the rest. If my mind began to chase down a thought that you weren't talking about, I found that your writing drew me back to attention. I did notice that pictures were more interesting than mere words (not to completely dismiss writing). It reminds me that humans learn more through illustration/story than memorizing propositional statements. The characters created a story (and I can still picture them, whereas the exact words have faded a bit).
    I agree with Ashely in that I have a desire to use this in some creative way as well.

    ReplyDelete