Welcome...

You've reached the shared blog of Michael Mckay and Todd Frederick. Two friends who have worked together in ministry and labored in similar educational endeavors. Please join us as we consider the interaction of Christianity with modern culture...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Corporate Prayer Behind the Scenes

I recently read an article by Dr. Grant Osborne in the current Journal of Evangelical Theology entitled, "Moving Forward on Our Knees: Corporate Prayer in the New Testament." It was a very good article tracing corporate prayer in Second Temple Judaism, the Gospels, Paul's epistles, general epistles and Revelation. I have had questions about the benefits, importance and power of corporate prayer for years. Probably most of these questions came from times I have actually prayed corporately at church and felt like it was more trial than victory. There is always the person who feels obligated to pray their knowledge of an OT story (whereas I am praying for a smiting), or the seemingly trivial requests for pet health (I know I am being overly critical here), or the simple fact that we often spend more time sharing requests than praying. All of these experiences together have probably made me groan inwardly about attending group prayer times and then feel guilty about why I don't see it as more important. I greatly appreciated Dr. Osborne's article. It was substantive and gave me several points to ponder. I want to share one of them.

Osborne points out that much of the prayer in the NT is corporate, but it seems masked by the English language's inability to distinguish between singular "you" and plural "you" (this is my summary of several of his observations). Readers from the South will feel they have an advantage here in the word, "You'all" and they do. But since the "Cotton Patch" Bible is not widely read, the advantage is minimal. So as we read a text on prayer and see the word "you", we assume it is speaking to us individually when in reality it is a plural "you" and may be referring to the local assembly.

Here is an illustration. James 4:3 states, "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." (TNIV) All the verbs here are 2nd person plural which means it is more a comment on corporate prayer (although I don't want to rule out the principle applying individually as well). Local churches are not getting what they ask for because they are asking amiss. This fits the context as well because James addresses the church's squabbles in verses 1,2. It is seeing passages like this in a new light that has really challenged me to want to engage in more corporate prayer. I feel like I am missing out on what could be happening. What new ministry could be started based on this passage of corporate prayer? What old ministry can be invigorated or empowered because of this passage? Perhaps our (my) American individualism is ruining an opportunity for the Lord to work through his people in a mighty, corporate way.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Michael. I feel the exact same way. I would like to read that article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please pray for my dog, he seems depressed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, I may pray for your dog (highly unlikely :)) or I can recommend the 'dog whisperer', although I think his show got canceled.
    Matt, I will try and find an electronic copy to email to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't mind reading that article too if you don't mind Michael.
    I always feel discouraged when it comes time to corporate worship. Like you said, we often end up talking more about prayer requests then we do praying. And the "prayer requests" usually end up becoming a time for gossip and personal share time.
    I feel guilty because when it actually comes time to pray I have been way to critical throughout the whole sharing time that I don't even end up praying

    ReplyDelete
  5. i knew there was at least one reason i liked you. Sounds like an interesting article. maybe a linkee on the blog would suffice. Oh, the echoes of agreement from this reader...

    also, could you please pray for my van? i think it's going to die...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dennis and Josh, I will get you the article to you both as soon as I can make an e-copy of it. Good to hear from you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael, shame on you for putting "you all" as a southernism - have you been up north so long that you forget it is y'all?!

    On a much more important note, I have recently finished an excellent book on prayer by Paul Miller - A Praying Life. It is more focused on individual prayer but does an excellent job of pointing out the flaws in the way most of us tend to think about prayer - either with a lot of cynicism or with God as a magic genie in the sky - often with us fluctuating between the two.

    As to your frustrations with corporate prayer, I'm afraid I have at times been cause of the sharing time turning into not enough time to pray while in a prayer group (I really do what to know all those details...) and been frustrated by prayer requests that seem to be filler and not actually things that are on people's heart.

    We are now part of a church plant which is still fairly small (between 70 and 100 people) and actually have corporate prayer now as part of the service. Our pastor prays through some written prayers (brief) and then anyone in the congregation can pray for anything on our hearts. These are also brief (under a minute) and include some congregational response. I have found this time one of the most powerful in the service and am encouraged by the conversations that happen after the service because of this prayer time.

    One last thought on corporate prayer, if two people praying together counts... I have been amazed at the power of immediately praying with someone as an issue comes up. We are just bringing our Father into the conversation. I now try to actually pray with someone on the spot instead of saying I'll pray for you about that (which rarely actually happens later on).

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine, You are so right. I have been above the Mason/Dixon line too long. I am embarrassed that I misspelled "Y'all" Mea Culpa, I am guilty! :)
    That book sounds really good and I will have to check it out.
    I also appreciate your last thought. There is a professor here at Grace who does the exact same thing. If he is in a conversation with you and you share some trouble, then he will stop the conversation and start praying right there wherever he is. That has a been a good example to me.

    ReplyDelete